Sunday, March 22, 2009

Bizarre food in Taiwan


In the video that we watched during Taiwan Social Study class, there was a foreigner that came to Taiwan to travel. The first place that he visited was Shilin night market, which is a very famous night market in Taipei. There are lots of young couples or even families will have their meals there. The foods in the night market are very special and it also represents the Taiwanese food culture of. The first dish that he tasted was called "fried shrimp". The foreigner really liked it, I think it was very special because I had never had anything like that. Another dish was called "coffin bread". They cut up a thick toast, and put stuffing inside. I was so impressed by this simple food; it was so different. I might want to try it someday in the future. The strangest food that I think I will not forget was called the "goose tongue, goose head and the goose brain". I can't believe that someone really loves that stuff. The man also went to a store that sells many different and valuable medicine. They sell mushroom which is very special, dry fruits, shark fin that can strengthen people's health. He also went to the most famous building in Taiwan which is the Taipei 101. There is a big food court in the 101 basement. Lots of people go there for meal because there are varieties of food you can choose from, range from local Taiwanese cuisine to exotic cuisine from all over the world. These were the things that I found in the video that we watched. Actually, not all the food that they introduced was very nice, some of the dishes were not as delightful as the other, but they are still very special and represent our culture.

image source : http://www.andrewzimmern.com/files/images/IMG_1041.JPG

1 comment:

Ms.Kao Chinese Class said...

Hi Vivian,
I agree that those special dishes represent Taiwan's food culture. By the way, the coffin bread is really delicious. I recommend you to try it.
Ms.Kao